Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tai Pei Orange Chicken

Made By:  Discovery Foods (USA)
Tools Required:  Microwave, Knife/Scissors
Meal Size (525 calories per package)
Rating:  :)

(complete information at official website)

For today's lunch, I am going to reach outside the instant-noodle category again and try another one of these Tai Pei frozen take-out-style entrees.  I really liked the first one I tried, so I am looking forward to giving this one a go!

Like the other Tai Pei box, preparation is extremely simple, though one should always read the directions before unwrapping things!  These are designed to be microwaved with the plastic wrap still on, so that it steams properly.  The instructions say to microwave 3-4 minutes in a 1200W oven; my machine is a little less than that, so I give it 4-1/2 minutes, then let it stand for a few minutes as directed.  I use my sharp object (a paring knife) to remove the film, give the contents a stir, and get ready to eat!

The box ends up only around half to two-thirds full; one of the box flaps tells us this is because the contents cook down to a smaller volume as they defrost and steam.  The sauce is nicely thick and is plentiful enough to coat everything evenly, and there is a generous quantity of vegetables and breaded chicken pieces along with our steamed rice.

Some of the components seem better suited for the steaming process than others, of course; the vegetables are quite nice--crisp, flavorful, and fresh-looking.  The chicken pieces don't fare so well... the meat is very soft, and the breading is soggy.  Their flavor is okay, but the texture definitely isn't comparable to real take-out.  The sauce is sweet, but no more so than I expected from an orange chicken sauce; it does have a good hearty flavor instead of just seeming like flavored corn syrup.

For a frozen convenience lunch, I didn't think this was bad at all.  The portion size seemed generous, the flavors were nice, and the crisp vegetables prevented the overall texture from seeming too mushy.  Not spectacular, mind you, but I'll probably end up buying it again. :|

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you enjoyed it but I will stick with leftover pizza! Especially since there was only one. :P

    ReplyDelete