Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Nissin Bowl Noodles Hot & Spicy with Shrimp

Made By:  Nissin USA
Tools Required:  Microwave, Water
420 calories per package

Rating:  :D

(available online through Amazon.com)

This week's noodle review is our first sampling of Nissin's Hot & Spicy Bowl Noodles line.  I know I've been reviewing a lot of Nissin products lately, but at least in this part of the country, they are by far the most widely available products in regular grocery stores, and I think it's worthwhile to find out which ones are worth the try.  These are described as "With Shrimp," rather than just shrimp-flavored, so I expect to see some little dried crustaceans in here.  Let's see what we've got!

Sure enough, in among our packets of add-ins is a dried goodie packet that seems to have four or five dried shrimp, along with some red peppers and lots of green onion flakes.  We also have our disc of ramen-style noodles, a packet of powdered soup base, and a Soup Booster that holds an unattractive dark, grainy, oily paste.  We empty the dried ingredients and soup base packets into the bowl, fill with water to the line, and microwave for three minutes.  Then we squeeze the contents of the Soup Booster packet into the hot soup, give it a good stir, and sit down to eat!

I am very pleasantly surprised by the texture of the noodles!  They are firm, not the least bit sticky, and have a light, clean feel and taste.  They remind me of the potato-starch noodles from in the Paldo Yukejang bowl, though that isn't listed as an ingredient.  The broth is definitely spicy and flavorful, too!  I am tasting roasted red pepper, onion, beef, and a cool herb flavor (which the ingredient list reveals to be cilantro).  It is a very hearty, almost stew-like broth; it comes across to me as a cajun-style flavor, reminiscent of a jambalaya or gumbo. 

Products like this are the reason I like to try all the different offerings of a particular manufacturer--sometimes I can find a hidden gem, even in the domestic dry soup section.  I highly recommend this one! :D

2 comments:

  1. omg i love this too omg i love it so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. its ok, but not as good as

    ReplyDelete