Sunday, May 8, 2011

Paldo Yukejang Hot & Spicy Noodle

Made By:  Paldo (Korea)
Tools Required:  Hot Water, Spoon & Chopsticks
Light Meal Size (390 calories per package)
Rating:  ^_^

(Available online through Amazon.com)

I am finally back and reviewing some new noodles today!  These are a Korean import, but I was able to find them at the local Top Foods here in Woodinville--yay for convenient shopping!  (I do so need to get back to an Asian grocery soon.)  Anyway, let's get right to the review, shall we?

Inside the bowl is a disk of fairly thin ramen-style noodles, as well as two seasoning packets, labelled "Vegetable Soup" and "Powder Soup".  {Note:  Later purchases of this have had the contents of the "Vegetable Soup" packet loose in the bowl instead, so don't think there is something wrong if you only get one packet.}  The dried veggie packet includes the usual suspects--green onion, dehydrated carrots, peppers--but also some little square sheets that remind me of tamago.  The powder soup is the deep red chili-powder color that is to be expected in a Hot & Spicy soup.  Preparation is simple; we just empty the packets into the bowl, fill with boiling water, and wait three minutes.  Upon removing the lid, we are greeted by a pleasant spicy soy aroma.  Time to eat!

The noodles have a very unique flavor and texture!  They are soft but not mushy; I thought the mouthfeel of these was very enjoyable.  It was enough to make me go look at the ingredient list, where I found that the noodles are made with potato starch as well as flour.  I approve!  I would say the broth is moderately spicy; the heat is present but it doesn't overpower the other flavors, which make for a nice, clean-tasting shoyu broth.  Unfortunately the little egg squares (or whatever they are supposed to be) didn't end up contributing that much, but I don't suppose that's a real disappointment if the overall product is good.

I was actually very impressed with this product!  I might even keep an eye on the ingredient lists for other products that include a potato-starch noodle like this one, they were that good.  They were not that expensive, for a bowl noodle, either.  I will definitely be buying more of these!  ^_^

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have finally posted a new noodle blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not directly related, but I recently tried a (IIRC) Nong Shim "Chapagetti" Chajang Noodle packet. The picture on it looked like it had a really hearty sauce, but it turned out to be blander than I expected; be warned about that if you run into those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ's used to carry these and I'd buy them all the time but they've been discontinued by BJ's and now the only way I can find them is only for more than twice the price! I'd love to know where I can find them at a reasonable price again.

    ReplyDelete