Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shirakiku Sanukiya Udon Shrimp Flavor

Distributed By:  Nishimoto Trading Co. (USA)
Tools Required:  Saucepan & Range (or Microwave), Water, Sharp object
250 calories per package

Rating:  :)

(available online through Amazon.com)

Today I am having another "Japanese-style" breakfast!  I decided to do some actual Japanese-style noodles and have a pack of this udon soup that my partner picked up at our local World Market.  I notice a couple of things about it just from the package; despite being portrayed as an import product, it is a product of the USA (though the specific manufacturer isn't mentioned).  Also, despite having "No MSG Added", one of the top three ingredients in the soup base is hydrolyzed vegetable protein, which contains a lot of it.  It's not like the Ramen Butterfly worries about her MSG intake personally, of course; I'm just saying, if they add something that has MSG in it, that's a lot like adding MSG.  It'd be better to be honest about it, in my opinion.

Anyway, inside the package we have a fresh-pack of udon noodles, and a plain-looking soup base packet.  We are supposed to bring 1-3/4 cups of water to a boil, add the noodles for two minutes, then stir in the seasoning at the end.  I ended up needing scissors to open the noodles, the package didn't seem to have a notch to tear with, so that was a little inconvenient.  As soon as I add the flavoring, I get a nice savory aroma.  Let's give them a try!

The noodles have a really good texture; they are slightly firm, yet soft and doughy, sort of dumpling-like.  The flavor is okay too; I was a little apprehensive when I saw the disclaimer on the package that the noodles have a "naturally sour flavor," but if anything they seem a bit milder than the Nong Shim udon noodles.  The broth is plain, without any herbs or vegetables added, and it has a very light, savory flavor.  It reminds me quite a bit of a Top Ramen shrimp flavor, actually, but it tastes a bit cleaner somehow.  Maybe the difference is just the better quality noodles, but I liked it quite a bit, especially for breakfast.  For lunch, I think I might want to 'soup it up' with some add-in ingredients--maybe some tiny shrimp and green onions, or something like that--but I think it turned out to be a pretty good value, and a pretty good meal.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment