Sunday, March 13, 2011

Nong Shim Kimchi Ramyun

Made By:  Nong Shim America
Tools Required:  Saucepan & Range, Bowl, Spoon & Chopsticks
Meal Size (500 calories per package)
Rating:  :D

(available online through VeryAsia.com)

It is a cold, rainy day here in Woodinville, Washington... some hot, spicy noodles seem like just the thing to counteract the gloomy weather!  I had these Kimchi Ramyun in the noodle stash, and now that I have joined the working class, I'm going to have to have the rest of my stovetop-preparation noodles on days off if I want them.  So with the blessing of my sweetie (who is going to have something else for lunch), here I go!

The package style is very similar to Nong Shim's Shin Ramyun; there is an identical round brick of thick wavy noodles, and two packets--a green foil packet of powder seasoning and a red plastic packet of dried veggies (I noticed cabbage and carrots).  We boil 19-1/2 ounces of water, add the seasoning packets and noodles, and cook for three minutes.  After a quick stir, the noodles go into the bowl and are ready to serve!

The finished product has a strong aroma of cabbage and chili spice; I thought they smelled appetizing, but my partner crinkled her nose a bit.  The flavor is actually quite similar to the Shin Ramyun, just with a little bit different undertones; in addition to the chili spice I am picking up a sweet and tart cabbage and vegetable flavor.  The heat level is also comparable to Shin Ramyun; these are quite spicy although not overwhelming (to me anyway).

I actually thought I preferred the flavor of these over Shin Ramyun; although the spice level is about the same, the sub-flavors here seem to complement the chili spice a bit better.  If you are a fan of spicy Korean ramyun, I would heartily recommend you give these a try. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment