Friday, February 18, 2011

Quick Review--Nong Shim Japanese-Style Udon Noodle Soup (Bowl version)

Made by:  Nong Shim (Korea)
Tools Required:  Hot Water, Spoon & Chopsticks
Meal Size (460 calories per package)
Rating:  :)
 
(available online through Amazon.com)

Today's lunch is a bowl version of the previously-reviewed Nong Shim Japanese-Style Udon Noodle Soup.  The soup itself is identical to the packet version (even the portion size), the only difference is the packaging and preparation method, so most of what I wrote in the original review also applies to this product.

To prepare the bowl version, we are supposed to open the packet of fresh noodles into the bowl, add boiling water to the fill line for two minutes, then drain the noodles using the "convenient" drain spouts on the lid.  Then, we re-fill the bowl with more boiling water, add the soup base and veggie packet, and wait one minute before eating.  In practice, the drain spouts don't work that well, and the lid is flimsy enough that the weight of the noodles tries to push it off of the bowl.  So we have to hold the lid on with our fingers, with the nearly-boiling-hot noodles on the other side. (I managed, but I would feel sorry for someone who tried it without long fingernails.)  Also, because we have to fill the bowl twice, it actually takes quite a bit of hot water to prepare, which can be problematic if you were planning to use a microwave to heat the water.

So, this packaging style actually ends up being significantly less convenient to prepare than the "standard" packet version, and tends to cost around 50¢ more.  On the other hand, in my experience the bowls seem slightly easier to find, and if you enjoy these as much as I do, it is nice to have an option for when a saucepan and range isn't available.  I'm happy. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are continuing to post your noodle blogs even though you are now working. Your cell phone camera does a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mjoanne: I am still considering taking the digital camera to work for the better resolution shots. I might get asked why I'm taking pictures of my food, but I think my employer would probably find it interesting once I told him about the site. :)

    ReplyDelete